Initial consultations are usually conducted at the surgeons office. You will meet with the surgeon for a discussion about your condition. We will collect your medical history and a relevant physical exam may be performed.
To prepare for your visit:
- Complete the medical questionnaire and patient profile summarizing your medical history.
- Bring a list of your current medications.
At the end of the consultation, your surgeon will develop your personalized management plan.
Gastroscopies, colonoscopies, and flexible sigmoidoscopies are performed in the ambulatory care unit at Royal Inland Hospital. Our office will give you instructions for your bowel preparation and hospital arrival times. Because you will be receiving sedation, someone will need to drive you home.
Be sure to follow these colonoscopy instructions for the bowel preparation closely:
- Morning Bowel Prep Instructions (Procedure before 12:00 pm)
- Afternoon Bowel Prep Instructions (Procedure at 12:00 pm or later)
Surgeries and procedures are performed at Royal Inland Hospital in either the main operating room or ambulatory care unit. Please contact our office if you have questions about arrival times or how to prepare for your specific procedure.
Please review the following information:
- Day Surgery & Surgical Admission
- Waiting For Surgery
- Pre-Surgical Screening Program Brochure
- Admission Information
- Quit Smoking Before Your Operation
If you require surgery for removal of a portion of your colon or rectum, you will be on an Enhanced Recovery Pathway.
Please review the Enhanced Recovery resources:
- Breast 360
- Breast Pathology Report Guide
- Kamloops Breast Cancer Support Group
- Kamloops Cancer Connection
- Look Good Feel Better
- BC Colon Screening Program
- Fibre Handout
- Low Residue Diet
- Ostomy Support Group
- Steps for Better Bowel Movement
Royal Inland Hospital